Friday, February 17, 2006

MT BAKER


I have to get this out of the way, so I can get to Big Sky. Baker=KICK ASS. No need to say anymore...but I will. Fortunately we had some sick riders showing us around as well as housing and feeding us, this guy was also an ER doctor-bling bling! Some of the best West Coast riding we have had. This was our first experience with hiking out of bounds with beepers...hearing slabs of snow settling and hitting some steep fresh pow pow. This is the backcountry you dream of, we hiked for a good hour until we hit the peak of a ridge. We all stopped to re-group, all of a sudden we hear a muffled boom and an echoing roar from snow break and settle over on a neighboring ridge. I thought it was exciting until one of the local riders got freaked and put her beacon on. Well I thought, if she is freaked then what am I supposed to be?! So the group split, some dropped in from there and the rest of us decided to go all the way! It was spectacular! No words can describe it. Sky ended up breaking his snowboard on the way down and we had to get to the car and switch it up. A day we will never forget. This shot is of the ridge line to the left of Baker. Kahe had told me the name long ago, but it never stuck. Getting to Baker mtn is a whole experience on its own, the road to the town is like driving through a tiny rain forest. Moss covering anything and everything and waterfalls left and right. I found a picture of Kahe next to her tree when we were driving to Baker one time. All in all, I would go back any day!
www.mtbaker.us

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home