Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Moonlight X Country Skiing




Last night was a humbling experience for Sky and I. Sky's bosses at GAS took us out for some cross-country skiing under the full moon! Sky and I have been slowly collecting all the necessary gear throughout the season and were ready to go. The plan was to ski to the Lone Mtn Ranch and have some drinks and ski around the area then back home. We left around 8:30 pm and got home around 12:30 am. And of course we carried a hefty thermos with coffee, baileys and schnapps for safety breaks. I don't think Sky and I have laughed so hard at ourselves and each other in a long time. There were crazy windy hills that we had to charge down-and I hadn't been on skis in 12 years or so (and it was like being on tele skies too!!). So you can picture me trying to "pizza" down the trail! Sky would tuck and fly down the hills and then all of a sudden one leg would be in the air and then cross the other ski and then he would be in the snow-this happened more than once. I would just fall down from laughing at him so hard. We even fell down just standing still. It was a winter wonderland reaching the Lone Mtn Ranch with all the little cabins and horse ranches lit up with white lights. We had some cocktails at the bar followed by some shots of peppermint schnapps, then back on our skies and on the trail. The moon was shining through the clouds making a mystical and elegant feel. Heading back towards Westfork Meadow (home) we stopped up on the hill looking down at the quiet town sparkling with lights. I almost wanted to head back to the forest again, but exhaustion entered in my mind and bed was sounding more inviting. The last hill to the valley was the funniest for all of us. Sky trailblazed and gunned it for the bottom ending in a dramatic crash. Then my turn-I fell twice on the way down and, of course, crashing at our destination too! Staisha did the same as Sky and Tom was the expert that gracefully charged and stopped. We took our skies off and walked down the vacant street towards home. Sky and I peeled off our wet gear (I don't think you are supposed to get that wet-but we fell so many times it was a good thing we had our snowboard gear on!) and then went strait to bed!! Today-I am tired!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home