Monday, April 10, 2006

LOST LAKES BACKCOUNTRY-APRIL 9, 2006

^Rob's descent^
(Below-Mullet)
Yesterday was a religious day for many. For Rob in particular-he shook God's hand! Shane, Rob and I took a trip to Lost Lakes in Big Sky's out-of-bounds backcountry. We had all the essentials-beacons, probes, shovels, first aid, cookies and water. It was a beautiful day with clear visibility, zero wind and stable snow...or so we thought! It was my first time out there so I took an easy shoot called "mullet". On a day like that, I could have easily done another shoot, but how many chances do you get to do a run called "mullet"!! I had a great relaxing run with very little sluff following me down, I found lots of fun things to do on the way down-spines, cliffs were calling my name left and right. I got to the bottom with ease and got the camera out for Rob and Shane's descent. I looked back at my run enjoying the sunlight shining on my face. Behind I look up at the peak of Mullet and notice 2 Big Sky patrollers descending on my same chute. It isn't a patrolled zone, so I guess they were just coming back for some backcountry turns. I really hadn't realized the length of the run until I see the patrollers as two little ants at the peak.

The above shot is a before picture of the cornice that dropped down. I patiently awaited Rob and Shane's traverse to their descent. Not sure where they were on the ridge line, I look back at the patrollers heading my way-thinking that I must be lost to be by myself. But before they reached my area, a slab of cornice breaks away from the ridge and creates a massive avalanche-picking up and carrying chunks of snow down to the base area of LL. I watched in awe (hearing in the distance Rob screaming from up above). I then remembered that I had a camera and I need to get some shots of this (so I only got the end bit of settling sluff). I look back and the patroller is approaching me...asking if I can confirm anyone in the avalanche. I was somewhat sure none of my boys were in it, but not knowing if they had come across anyone on the traverse...I responded with not being comfortable confirming anything at that time! He headed for the aftermath and started probing. Not a minute later I located my guys farther on the traverse, ready to descend. The patrollers were picking up weird transmissions from their beacons, but in the end we concluded that no one was in the reckage, and we watched Shane and Rob meet us at the bottom.

Rob told us his experiences with the cornice. He was traversing behind Shane and was standing over the cornice (not knowing it at the time), when the whole thing cracked underneath him. He thought quick and moved back fast enough to save his life!

Looking back, Rob is thankful to be alive-it was a succuessful wake up call and it definitely made us all a bit nervous about cornices!!


We headed back to civilization enjoying every minute, contemplating "what would have happened if..."!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home